Thursday, April 22, 2010

Marzipan Cherry Scones


I’m actually writing this recipe before I’ve even tasted it – they are still in the oven. I just have this feeling… they will be THAT good! (*UPDATE* they ARE that good!) Today at work, a friend of mine was describing these marzipan scones she enjoys at a local coffee shop that she frequents. I had already been thinking about baking something for our weekly Friday meeting. At this point all I heard was “… marzipan… scones… delicious… my favorite,” and I was sold. I’ve never made scones before, so it was a perfect challenge! Design a delicious scone recipe that incorporates only my most favorite and beloved flavor in baking… marzipan.

The perfect scone recipe for me would have more than just the sweet scent of almond with flecks of flavorful marzipan, but the tang of cherries. To give the recipe an extra zing, I soaked the dried cherries in amaretto first, allowing the cherries to soak up the delicious, sweet almond flavor of the amaretto.

Marzipan Cherry Scones
1/2 cup dried cherries, soaked in amaretto (I used a mixture of bing and montmerency cherries)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
6 tblsp butter, cubed and cold
1/3 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
1 large egg
½ tsp almond extract
1/3 cup marzipan, sweetened to desired sweetness by kneading in confectioner’s sugar
turbinado sugar, for decoration

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the cubed butter and about half of the marzipan until they resembles small peas. Add the cherries and the remaining marzipan in small chunks. In a small bowl, combine almond extract, heavy cream, and egg and lightly beat together. Pour wet ingredients, reserving about 1 tablespoon, over the dry ingredients and mix together until the mixture holds together (do not over-mix). Turn dough out onto a floured surface and form a circular disc. Cut into 8 pieces from the center, as one would cut a pie. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and brush with remaining cream and egg mixture. Top with turbinado sugar for decoration. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 for 15-20 minutes, or until light golden brown around the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment